Friday, November 22, 2013

Car Shopping...

Let's just say this is definitely an adventure.  We have been looking at cars for a few weeks online, Jan has already purchased his car and now I'm able to do my search in person and not just online.  So yesterday, Bestemor drove the kids and I to a couple dealerships to look as some cars I had found online.  Marcus fell asleep almost instantly when we left out on our adventure and stayed asleep the entire time.  Bestemor brought some books to keep Rebecca entertained for a while until she fell asleep.  The first place had sold the car I was interested in driving.   The second dealership had the car and another one I have now become interested in but its a bit larger than what I had been in the market to purchase.  If you haven't been to Norway, the parking spaces are quite a bit smaller and tighter than our typical spaces in Texas ;-), which is why I'm a little hesitant for the larger car.  Today, it was only the kids and I on our car adventure.  I had seen one of my favorites in a neighboring town of Tau, driving to another town  not such a big deal but this town we have to take a ferry.  We have been to Tau a few times visiting friends, but this was my first time alone.  On our way to Tau, we missed the ferry by 30 seconds, so we had to sit in the car for 30 minutes to wait for the next ferry, the kids did very well looking for boats & trucks.  Rebecca, who has an amazing memory, remembered we usually eat chocolate (kvikk lunsj) its sort of like a KitKat in the USA.
20110307-norway-kvikk-lunsj-wrapper-front.jpg
So on the way over to Tau we had some chocolate which made both kids very happy.  We made it to the dealership safely and eliminated one car very quick, but the one I was most interested in initially didn't disappoint so I had to drive it.  After moving both car seats to the test drive car, we were off on a mini adventure.  Unsure of where to drive, one of the salesmen suggested I go straight through a roundabout and would have a great winding road to test the car.  I followed his suggestions, Wow, I wish there would have been places to stop and take some photos.  It was beautiful and a great road to test drive.  We returned the car and switched the car seats back and then went back to wait on the ferry.  While we were waiting for the ferry, we made funny faces at the camera

This time no chocolate but we went into the playroom and the kids had a blast on the slide. I am not sure how many times they went down the slide but they had fun and burned off some energy

He's such a happy boy...






























They were having so much fun, I'm still not sure how I managed to get them out of the playroom without kicking and screaming.  We walked out into the a room and were looking at the islands we were passing.  Another passenger walked up and started speaking Norwegian to me, of course I reply, English please.  He was very nice and said of course…look there where the water is swirling there are about eight whales swimming.  We watched for a few minutes but none of them ever came above the surface again :-( and I wouldn't have been quick enough with my camera to snap a photo.  That would have been a fantastic report…maybe next time.

Tomorrow I will continue my car shopping but without children in tow.  Maybe I will find something I like and will be able to maneuver in the parking garages here…in case you are wondering it will be a station wagon.  

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I'm laughing at your last line. I was going to suggest a station wagon since that is the car most of my friends drive. That is their version of a popular suv. :-) I'm so glad you're having some adventures and getting out and about. The one phrase I still know in Norwegian is "I'm sorry. I don't speak Norwegian." Enjoy the rest of your car shopping! Are you also house hunting, or do you already have a place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I need a nap just reading of your car shopping adventure. ; ) The kids seem to be adjusting well. Although the chocolate may have helped some. Lol...send hugs from all of us in Rebecca's class! The kids still count her as absent. : (

    ReplyDelete