Thursday, December 5, 2013

Norwegian Storm ~ winds 80+mph

I had my settling in meeting the the relocation company assisting us yesterday.  Most of the information I already knew about but I was also given some other helpful information.  At the end of the meeting, they asked if I had heard about the storm approaching…I had heard a tiny bit about it but not much.  Well for obvious reasons I haven't heard anything about it, because I don't read the newspapers or watch the news because I haven't started my Norwegian Language courses.  (But hopefully after we are settled in our house and after the holidays I will start my courses.)  I went to weather.com to view the weather, I had seen the forecast, 40-50mph winds, 100% chance of rain with some snow showers at times and possible wind gusts of 60mph.

So for the entire night, the wind howled something fierce.  Luckily I can sleep through almost anything.     Poor Rebecca gets frightened by thunderstorm in Houston.  I had warned her there might be some rain and wind to prepare her for the approaching storm.  Maybe I should have prepared myself a little better.

We woke up, ate breakfast and got ready for the day.   We had planned to try out a new play group called Tippy Toes, for toddlers.  I sent my friend, Audrey, a text to see if things were ever cancelled due to weather and she replied, "for the most part things go on unless you hear otherwise :-)."  So we put all our rain gear on and got in the car and went out on merry way.  We took a wrong turn again but not to worry, we found our way.  We go into a parking lot no signs or indication of a play group anywhere.  Then I see a barnehage (daycare) class walking so we get out of the car and I walk to the ladies and ask if they are the Tippy Toes group, NO.  They suggest I check in a nearby building.  I walk in and there are about 10-15 retired men sitting at the table having some coffee, I ask is the tippy toes group here.  They look at me like I have 3 heads, so I turn around and think, hmmm.  I look around outside in the rain and wind and see a building similar to a barn with lights on inside.  I told the kids lets try this building, still no signs anywhere, I look up stairs and there it is.  YIPPEE.  Only one mother there with two children and I had met her last week at the Little Stars group, it was nice to see a familiar face.  They were working on crafts, some Christmas cards with glitter so we joined in.  Marcus was more interested in the toys but Rebecca had fun with the glue & glitter, I assisted with the cutting portion of the craft.
Making a snowman card

Making a Christmas tree card

We played a little then, sang songs and read two books.  I enjoyed this play group as well.  We are trying to make new friends and find stuff to do.

Thankfully while we were away the winds and rain had subsided, but when we walked in the house it all started again.  We ate lunch and had some time to play then the weather really started getting worse. The kids didn't get too far away from me the entire afternoon.  Then Bestemor calls to check on us, I act like its just another storm, nothing alarming.  Jan has always told me the storms in Norway are fierce and hurricane like, so I didn't think anything about the wind and rain.  She tells me this storm is a little stronger than a typical winter storm.  Now, I get it…then I look on the internet and see winds in excess of 83mph, yes that is strong as a Category 1 hurricane.  I send Jan a text and tell him about the weather and to be careful coming home…he replies, hey can you go take some photos or take video the trees and sea.  So clue number 2, the weather is bad because he wants me to film it.  So I go out on the porch and the wind nearly knocks me off the porch not once, not twice but three times, HOLY MOLY.  The forecast says the winds should reduce some overnight and then a possibility of snow tomorrow.  Sorry I didn't take any photos of the storm, I wasn't going back out in the rain and wind again for photos :-p

If it snows, you can bet I will be posting again tomorrow.

2 comments: